Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 2017 17:15:46 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        Nicolas Embriz <nbari@tequila.io>
Cc:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: GEOM: ada0: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA or random: unblocking device. when using more than 2 cores

On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 12:52 PM, Nicolas Embriz <nbari@tequila.io> wrote:

> Hello, I have been creating FreeBSD images to use within AWS with ZFS
> on root, using this scripts: https://fabrik.red
> (https://github.com/fabrik-red/images/blob/master/fabrik.sh)
>
> Recently I created a new image but start to notice that when using
> t2.medium or instances with more than 1 core, they are not booting and
> in many cases, I get this message:
>
>     GEOM: ada0: the secondary GPT header is not in the last LBA.

This message is fine. It means that you DD'd an image into disk whose size
wasn't the same as the image. This is typically normal, but you should
double check to make sure that the image is smaller than the disk you've
done this to.

> of
>    random: unblocking device

This is normal.

> This seems to be happening only with FreeBSD 11.1 prerelease, with
> 11.0 is working fine working image can be found here:
> https://github.com/fabrik-red/images/releases either with 1 core or
> more than 2 cores.
>
> This is the kernel I am using:
> https://github.com/fabrik-red/images/blob/master/fabrik.kernel
>
> Any idea of what could be causing this issue?
>
> The pattern I have found is that this only happens with instances with
> 2 or more cores.

You'll need to provide more information if you want our help to make
progress. I'd start with a full dmesg of a boot -v on the machine affected,
if at all possible.

Warner