Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 2015 09:59:47 +1100
From:      Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
To:        Freek Dijkstra <public@macfreek.nl>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ZFS fatal double fault upon reboot after upgrade to 10.2

On Wednesday, 7 October 2015, Freek Dijkstra <public@macfreek.nl> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> After an upgrade from FreeBSD 10.0 to 10.2, my system no longer boots
> with an error:
>
>     Trying to mount root from zfs:zroot []...
>     Fatal double fault:

I think you are experiencing a known issue with FreeBSD >= 10.1 on i386
with multi-disk zfs configurations. Refer to the 2nd bullet point here:
https://www.freebsd.org/releases/10.2R/errata.html#open-issues

Extract:
"FreeBSD/i386 10.2-RELEASE installed on ZFS may crash during boot when the
ZFS pool mount is attempted while booting an unmodified GENERIC kernel.

As described in /usr/src/UPDATING entry 20121223, rebuilding the kernel
with options KSTACK_PAGES=4 has been observed to resolve the boot-time
crash."

Please refer the the above errata link to continue reading.

Please also ensure you are familiar with this chapter of the handbook:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/zfs-advanced.html#zfs-advanced-i386

Regards,

Ben

From: Benjamin Woods