Date:      Thu, 3 Jan 2013 11:17:42 -0800
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        "Dr. Rolf Jansen" <rj@cyclaero.com>
Cc:        freebsd-drivers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to map device addresses into user space

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM, Dr. Rolf Jansen <rj@cyclaero.com> wrote:

> I am building a loadable kernel module for FreeBSD 9.1-RELEASE x86_64 for
> a PCI Data Acquisition board from National Instruments.
>
> I need to map the Base Address Registers into user space memory, in order
> to pass the BAR's to the National Instruments Drivers Development Kit
> (NI-DDK). The DDK is a complex set of C++ classes running in user space,
> that read/write directly from/into the BAR's.
>
> The FreeBSD bus_space_* functions are useless in this respect, because the
> DDK isn't designed that way, I need the BAR addresses mapped into user
> space.
>
> Having the measurement done by the kernel module is not an option either,
> because it is math intensive, and kernel modules are build without SSE and
> with soft float.
>
> I got tiny kernel modules/extensions only providing the mapped addresses
> of the PCI BAR's running together with the Measurement Routines using the
> NI-DDK on Darwin (Mac OS X) and Linux.
>
> So, how can I map device addresses into user space on FreeBSD?
>

> Best regards
>
> Rolf

There is the following book :

-----------------------------

http://www.amazon.com/FreeBSD-Device-Drivers-Guide-Intrepid/dp/1593272049/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1350180756&sr=1-1&keywords=9781593272043
http://nostarch.com/bsddrivers.htm

FreeBSD Device Drivers

Product Details

    Paperback: 352 pages
    Publisher: No Starch Press; Original edition (May 7, 2012)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 1593272049
    ISBN-13: 978-1593272043

I do not how much it can be useful for you , but it may be very helpful in
details .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk