Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 2021 14:06:15 -0600
From:      Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: geli - is it better to partition then encrypt, or vice versa ?

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 1:53 PM Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
wrote:

> So, am building a zpool on some encrypted discs - and what I have done
> is to partition the disc with GPT add a single big partition, and
> encrypt that. So the pool is on nda1p1.eli.
>
> But I could, of course, encrypt the disc first, and then partition the
> encrypted disc, or indded just put the zpool directly onto it.
>
> Just wondering what the general consensus is as to the best way to go
> here ... if there is one! :-) What do other people do ?
>
> -pete.

The answer depends on why you want to partition in the first place.  What
do you intend to store on those disks besides ZFS?  If the answer is
nothing, then don't bother partitioning; just write ZFS over GELI over the
whole disk.

(Also, it's worth asking why you want GELI, now that FreeBSD 13 supports
ZFS native crypto.  ZFS native crypto on RAIDZ has substantially better
write performance than RAIDZ on GELI.  However, if you're paranoid, then
GELI does provide better security; ZFS native crypto is vulnerable to some
kinds of watermarking attacks.)