Date:      Sat, 22 Dec 2012 11:56:05 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: malloc+utrace, tracking memory leaks in a running program.

On 21 December 2012 22:37, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org> wrote:

> Is it time to start installing with some form of debug symbols? This would
> help us also with dtrace.

I just posted a patch to add a knob to build and install standalone
debug files.  My intent is that we will build releases with this
enabled, and add a base-dbg.txz distribution that contains the debug
data for the base system, so that one can install it along with
everything else, or add it later on when needed.

We could perhaps teach dtrace to read its data from standalone .ctf
files, or have it read DWARF directly and use the same debug files.