Date:      Fri, 3 Dec 2004 11:59:10 -0800
From:      Lapo Nustrini <lapo@seanet.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATA Problem going from FreeBSd 5.3 Beta7 to 5.3 Release.

Hopefully this is the correct mailing list, if not, please let me know
a more suitable one.

I'm setting up a Supermicro 1U server, (6014HX8B: dual Xeon, 2GB ram,
hot swappable scsi backplane, dual GB nics, etc...)
I tried installing FBSD 5.3 release on it, but I received the following
error while booting:

  ata1-master: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
  ata1-master: FAILURE - ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out
  ata1-master: FAILURE - SETFEATURES SET TRANSFER MODE timed out

  fault virtual address    = 0x0
  fault code               = supervisor read, page not present
  instruction pointer      = 0x8:0xc04b345c
  stack pointer            = 0x10:0xc0c21cc0
  frame pointer            = 0x10:0xc0c21ccc
  code segment             = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                           = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
  processor eflags         = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
  current process          = 0 (swapper)
  trap number              = 12
  panic: page fault
  uptime: 16s
  cannot dump. No dump device defined.
  Shutting down ACPI
  stray irq9
  Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort

This results in an endless reboot loop.

I had no problem installing FBSD 5.3 Beta7 (developer set), so I sync'd
the sources and rebuilt the kernel and world to see if I could update
it this way to 5.3 RELEASE.
On the first reboot after installing the new kernel (compiled with the
GENERIC settings) I received the exact same error.
Swapping out the new kernel with the old, returned me to a working
system.

The the only ATA device on this machine is the CDROM (on ATA1-master).
If I try to disable the ATA device entries in the kernel and recompile,
I then start having SCSI issues...

For the record, there are no local HD on this machine, as it is booting
from a raid array connected via a Fiber Channel adaptor (using the MPT
driver)
However, I tried removing the FC card and plugging in a SCSI drive, and
the problem is exactly the same.

If no one has any better ideas, where can I find a detailed description
of the changes between 5.3 Beta7 and 5.3 Release?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Lapo Nustrini