Date:      Fri, 27 Dec 96 13:14:21 PST
From:      "Sean J. Schluntz"  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
To:        Doug White  <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Urgent Help Adding Hard Disk Please!!

Thanks for the feedback, though it didn't work here, see what happened:

Using what you have written, I went into single user mode using sh and did:

d=sd1                               #worked

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/r$d count=2 #worked
#now comes the problems

disklabel /dev/r$d | disklabel -R -r $d /dev/stdin
#I dropped the -B because this is not going to be a boot drive.

sd1: invalid primary partition table: no magic
Warning, revolutions/minute 0
boot block size 0
super block size 0
line 12: 0: bad rpm
line 13: 0: ban interleave
Warning, revolutions/minute 0

#then I tried newfs just for kicks to see if it would work anyway.
newfs /dev/r${d}c
sd1: invalid primary partition table: no magic
newfs: ioctl (GDINFO): Incalid argument
newfs: /dev/rsd1c: Cant read disk libal; disk type must be specified.

What should I do now?

-Sean
> > Oh, arg.  I came in this morning to find that my /var was at 101% capacity
and
> > that eMail could not be saved.  I did a quick fix by linking the mail dir
to a
> > ristricted dir in the /usr volume but that did not have much space left on
it
> > either.
>
> See:
>
> http://resnet.uoregon.edu/dwhite/makedisk.txt
>
> or for dedicated disks,
>
> http://resnet.uoregon.edu/dwhite/makedisk2.txt
>
> > Here is my problem.  I added another hard disk.  A huge external 640mb
scsi 1
> > disk.  It has one partition on it now (first I dd'ed it to kill any
remander
> > and then used Adaptec's AFDISK utility to give it one partition.
> >
> > when the system boots it shows up ok:
> >
> > (ahac0:2:0):"CDC 9419-15 5376" type 0 fixed scsi 1
> > sd1: Direct-Access 641MB (1312975 512 bytes sectors)

Sean J. Schluntz                                  <schluntz@pinpt.com>
Manager, Support Services                        ph. 408.997.6900 x222
PinPoint Software Corporation                    fx. 408.323.2300
6155 Almaden Expressway, Suite 100
San Jose, CA.  95120                             http://www.pinpt.com/

Local Time Sent: 12/27/96 13:14:22