Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2007 10:03:19 -0700
From:      "Cheng Jin" <chengjin@FASTSOFT.COM>
To:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Intel 82572GI PCIe question

Hi,
=20
Has anyone had experience playing with the 82572GI PCIe cards under =
FreeBSD?
=20
We had bunch of cards from two vendors, a few server adapter cards, but =
most of them
client adapter cards =
(http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/prodbrf/pro1000_pt_de=
sktop_adapter.pdf)
=20
They all had problems (hard to pin down the exact problem, but i suspect =
auto-negotiation) under FreeBSD 5.4.  We are using the em-5.1.5 driver =
from Intel's
website that is meant for FreeBSD 5.x, and the cards are all recognized =
on boot, and if I assign an IP, it appears to work (at least i could =
ping the machine's own IP).  However,
when they are connected to the rest of the network via 100Mbps switches, =
they are not
able to ping any host on the network. =20
=20
Sometimes, i could get the cards to work by plugging them into a =
different 100Mbps port and then back to the original port, and I also =
found that if i have a gigabit port handy, i could connect the adapter =
to the GigE, and then connecting to the 100Mbps would work.
=20
The strange and not so funny thing is that a few cards have no problems, =
but most of have this problem.  I cannot quite tell whether i have a =
bunch of defective cards (I guess I should test it under Windows), or =
maybe the 5.x driver doesnt support these PCIe cards very well.
=20
One thing I did that might shed some light is that I backed ported some =
stuff from 6.2 em driver, and that really eliminated the trouble that I =
was having. If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to post the code I =
backported.
=20
Thanks,
=20