Date:      Wed, 12 May 2010 15:03:34 -0400
From:      Andrew Boyer <aboyer@averesystems.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   ixgbe 2.1.7 can't disable LRO on 82599?

Hello all,
I'm using the 2.1.7 version of ixgbe from -CURRENT, backported to =
FreeBSD 7.1.  With some fiddling it seems to work on both 82598 and =
82599 controllers.

On 82598, 'ifconfig ix0 -lro' causes dev.ix.0.counters.rxr0.lro_queued =
and ...lro_flushed to stop incrementing, as expected.  There's also a =
significant throughput hit which would seem to indicate that it took =
effect.

However, it appears that LRO is always enabled on 82599.  'ifconfig ix0 =
-lro' removes the LRO flag from the port in ifconfig but the =
...hw_lro_merge counter continues to increase.  The throughput reported =
by the iperf port is the same with or without LRO on.

Any advice?  Am I misinterpreting something?

Thanks,
  Andrew

P.S.  We need to disable LRO because we don't have Appropriate Byte =
Counting support and LRO causes TCP ACK havoc without it.

Andrew Boyer	aboyer@averesystems.com