Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 2020 21:51:34 -0500
From:      Ryan Rawdon <ryan@u13.net>
To:        tkhemili78@outlook.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh command hang

> On Jan 7, 2020, at 3:30 PM, Bejiita78 . <tkhemili78@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> has anyone ever noticed that locally a system may respond just fine, =
but
> running a command like port make install or top would cause the ssh =
session
> to hang indefinitely?

This is a common sign of a MTU mismatch on a network segment somewhere =
between your client and the server (large segments/packets/frames go =
into a black hole and nobody knows); or the path has a =
properly-configured reduced MTU, but the server is sending the traffic =
with the Don=E2=80=99t Fragment bit set (IP header); but the device in =
the path dropping it due to a smaller MTU is not successfully having =
Packet Too Big ICMP errors get back to the server. =20

If you perform a packet capture on the server, you will likely see it =
retransmitting one or more segments over and over - but not see those =
arriving to the client. =20

The approach to diagnosing the point of the issue being introduced (MTU =
mismatch, ICMP filtering, or the server not utilizing ICMP PTB responses =
properly) depends largely on the network topology between your client =
and server; and your ability to investigate or reproduce the symptoms in =
systems along that path.

There are plenty of other potential causes for this behavior, but this =
is the first one I would investigate if experiencing this issue.  Have =
there been any network changes near your client or server that might =
have meddled with MTU sizes or ICMP blocking?