Date:      Sun, 1 Apr 2018 13:24:36 +0100
From:      "Alex Andrews" <mail@alexandrews.me.uk>
To:        <freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org>
Subject:   WiFi Debugging Tool for BSD

Hi,

Sorry, I got your contact details from the FreeBSD Wiki page for WiFi =
ideas.  I am a newbie to FreeBSD (plenty of Windows experience, and a =
little Linux experience) but I just can't get the wifi working on my MSI =
X-610 laptop under FreeBSD 11.1.  I have followed all of the =
instructions and asked for help on the forum, but "ifconfig wlan0 up =
scan" just produces no output even though I know there are about a dozen =
wifi access points in range.  I suspect it is a problem with the driver, =
but I'm not sure how to verify that.  What would be really useful is a =
simple wifi debugging tool that could run through all of the steps =
necessary to get a wifi card working (check the driver is loaded and =
working, check "syctl net.lan.devices", then check /etc/rc.conf for the =
correct wlans_ and ifconfig_ entries, etc etc).  I imagine this would be =
a fairly simple task for someone with the appropriate knowledge/skill =
set, and I am sure others would find it useful too.  Any chance this =
might be considered?

Thanks very much,

Alex