Date:      Thu, 3 Mar 2016 08:42:20 +0100
From:      Borja Marcos <borjam@sarenet.es>
To:        Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk>, FreeBSD-scsi <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: mpr(4) SAS3008 Repeated Crashing

> On 02 Mar 2016, at 19:43, Scott Long <scott4long@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I=E2=80=99ve suffered similar problems, although not as severe, on =
one of my storage servers. It=E2=80=99s an IBM X Series with a LSI 3008 =
HBA=20
>> connected to the backplane, using SATA SSDs. But mine are almost =
certainly hardware problems. An identical system is working
>> without issues.
>>=20
>> The symptom: with high I/O activity, for example, running Bonnie++, =
some commands abort with the disks returning a
>> unit attention (power on/reset) asc 0,29.
>>=20
>=20
> In your case, the UA is actually a secondary effect.  What=E2=80=99s =
happening is that a command is timing out so the driver is resetting the =
disk.  That causes the disk to report a UA with an ASC of 29/0 on the =
next command it gets after it comes back up.  It=E2=80=99s not fatal and =
I=E2=80=99m not sure if it should actually cause a retry, but that=E2=80=99=
s an investigation for a different time.  It does produce a lot of noise =
on the=20
> console/log, though.

Hmm. Interesting. It does indeed cause problems, although nothing that a =
ZFS scrub cannot fix.=20

So it=E2=80=99s the driver that is resetting the disks? I was assuming =
that the disks were resetting themselves for some reason.=20

> One thing I noticed in your log is that one of the commands was a =
passthrough ATA command of 0x06 and feature of 0x01, which is DSM TRIM.  =
It=E2=80=99s not clear if this command was at fault, I need to add =
better logging for this case, but it=E2=80=99s highly suspect.  It was =
only being asked to trim one sector, but given how unpredictable TRIM =
What it might point to, though, is that either the timeout for the =
command was too short, the drive doesn=E2=80=99t support DSM TRIM that =
well, or the LSI adapter doesn=E2=80=99t support it well (since it=E2=80=99=
s not an NCQ command, the LSI firmware would have to remember to flush =
out the pending NCQ reads and writes first before doing the DSM =
command).  The default timeout is 60 seconds, which should be enough =
unless you changed it deliberately.  If this is a reproducible case, =
would you be willing to re-try with a different delete method, i.e. =
fiddle with the kern.cam.da.X.delete_method sysctl?

The server is not in production for now, so I can run experiments on it. =
I am trying with delete_method=3DDISABLE. Although using these disks =
without trim would have
a performance impact I guess.=20

What is puzzling is, the =E2=80=9Ctwin=E2=80=9D server is working like a =
charm. Same hardware, same software. We only updated firmwares on the =
ailing one when we noticed problems,
just in case.

Actually we=E2=80=99ve been poking the dealer and they are going to send =
a new one to test. Given how the twin works, the problem should go away.

Thanks!

Borja.=