Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2022 08:52:33 +1030
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <darius@dons.net.au>
To:        Archimedes Gaviola <archimedes.gaviola@gmail.com>
Cc:        mike@karels.net, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi 4B does not detect devices in USB 3.0

<archimedes.gaviola@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just tried my new RPI4 board and it seems to work fine the same as =
my old board. I just observed that the problem is when my VFD (vacuum =
fluorescent display) device is connected to either of the two USB 3.0 =
ports, this device having uplcom(4) driver is not detected.

I wonder if the VFD is causing interference - it likely has a high =
voltage supply and those are notorious for generating electrical noise.

> It's a Prolific USB-serial device having PL2303 chipset. However, when =
plugged-in to USB 2.0 ports, this device is detected and functioning. I =
can send characters with the echo command and redirect it to /dev/cuaU0 =
for display without any problem. Other observations when this VFD device =
is connected to either 3.0 ports, the 2.0 ports will not function i.e. =
plugging-in any USB devices like my keyboard or my EMV reader. When this =
device is also connected to either of the 2.0 ports, the other 2.0 port =
is functioning for other USB devices while 3.0 ports are not. I attached =
two dmesg outputs when the device is detected with 2.0 ports and =
undetected with 3.0. I also include kldstat and usbdump.

I would be curious if putting the VFD on a longer cable, or wrapping the =
cable through a ferrite, or using an external hub fixes it.

Any of those would give a bit more isolation between the VFD and USB3 =
hardware.

--
Daniel O'Connor
are so many of them to choose from."