Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 16:42:07 -0400
From:      "SILVER, MICHAEL A" <MSILVER@scana.com>
To:        "'Neil Blakey-Milner'" <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'Rick Hamell'" <hamellr@aracnet.com>, "'Doug Young'" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Subject:   RE: new books, changing my pt. of view

I think this discussion of docs is getting too heated.  Among the things
that impressed me most about FreeBSD was the documentation.  It isn't very
often you see a 700 page "handbook" on how to set it up free software (and
have it in at least 4 different formats).  I have relied heavily on the
handbook and The Complete FreeBSD book.  I would not have been able to do
the simplest things with out them.  You would be challenged to find better
and more up-to-date documentation on any other free software.

The problem lies in the gap between experienced UNIX admins and
inexperienced UNIX users, like myself (striving to be an admin).  Certain
knowledge of UNIX is assumed, not purposely by the doc writers, but the doc
writer already have this knowledge.  Many "newbies" simply don't have this
knowledge.  It almost seems an insult to those that document FreeBSD to have
simple step by step instructions on doing very specific mundane tasks,
however this is what many of us require.  I don't know how this would fit
into the current documentation project.  This really should be a separate
"how to" or example manual.  I have seen a few web sites that have done a
great job with this.  Unfortunately, they often have about 20 how-to
examples.  Although good ones, they don't always ally to my situation.

Neil, how can we help with the documentation project?  How can we build a
document that will help new people setup and configure FreeBSD?  I think the
Handbook has great content for newbies, sometimes.  Somehow we need to fill
in the gaps, before we can no longer appreciate the needs of the newer
users.  (if that made any sense)

I think most people here want to help, and add to, not throw away the
incredible documentation that has taken place and is ongoing.

...Michael...