Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 21:30:22 -0400
From:      dave@hawk-systems.com (Dave)
To:        "Len Conrad" <LConrad@Go2France.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: BSD Stand For

>>Berkley Software Design,  I am sure this has to be in the faq and a million
>>other places
>
>wrong, go read the faq and million other places.
>
>----------------------------
>FROM: Greg Lehey
>DATE: 04/27/1998 00:28:51
>SUBJECT: RE: What does BSD stand for?
>On Thu, 23 April 1998 at 21:21:59 +0200, Dag-Erling Coidan Smrgrav  wrote:
> > "Dr. Buchacher Anton" <<EMAIL: PROTECTED>> writes:
> >> My question is simple: What does BSD stand for?
> >> Thanks a lot.
> >
> > Depending on whom you ask, "Berkely Standard Distribution" or "Berkely
> > Software Distribution". The latter is canonical AFAIK.
>
>This last went past just a couple of days ago.  "Berkeley Software
>Distribution".  All else is just plain wrong.

ALAMEDA, Calif., April 4, 2001 - Wind River Systems, Inc. (Nasdaq:WIND), a
leading provider of software and services for connected smart devices, today
announced a definitive agreement to purchase the software assets of Berkeley
Software Design, Inc. (BSDi), the world?s first commercial supplier of BSD UNIX,
an advanced operating system (OS) for the Internet. Under the agreement, Wind
River will purchase the commercial version of the BSD UNIX-based OS (BSD/OST)
and development tools. Wind River will also support FreeBSD, a collaborative
open source development effort, to advance BSD technologies. Financial details
will not be disclosed. Wind River expects to close this transaction by late
April 2001.