Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 17:28:40 -0700
From:      Jordan K Hubbard <jkh@queasyweasel.com>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        libh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: screenshot / recent work

That's really cool, congrats guys!  You've all made some really incredible progress lately, turning libh from a weird little curiousity into something which genuinely looks like it'll be replacing sysinstall in the not-too-distant future.  I know that was the plan all along, but I'll be honest - I had some real doubts for awhile and what I've seen in the last 6 months is nothing short of amazing!

Now that I've buttered you all up, one small critical suggestion for the disk editor... :-)

It would be really nice if there were some way to nest the partitions/slices visually so that it was clear from more than just the name what was "inside" what, to wit:

	ad0		IDE DISK		500MB
		ad0s1	DOS			200MB
		ad0s2	BSD			300MB
			ad0s2a	/			80MB
			ad0s2d	/usr			170MB
			ad0s2e	/var			50MB

Or something to that effect.  You could even line up the types and sizes if that would look better:

	ad0				IDE DISK		500MB
		ad0s1		DOS			200MB
		ad0s2		BSD			300MB
			ad0s2a	/			80MB
			ad0s2d	/usr			170MB
			ad0s2e	/var			50MB

Naturally, if we have those little "disclosure triangles" in the generic widget set's list widget (you know, the triangles that point down when they're expanded and point to the right when they're indicating that there's "more to disclose") then they could also be used to very good effect in the disk editor, with "full disclosure" being the default state.

- Jordan

--
Jordan K. Hubbard
Engineering Manager, BSD technology group