Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:22:45 -0300
From:      Roy Nasser <roy@vem.ca>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Memory utilization rises too much, and then machine crashes...

Hi,

I am migrating my system from a RedHat Linux box, and I am having some
problems...

I have a perl deamon that needs to run... It serves as a Search-server.
When I run it (I use nice -10), and then go straight into TOP, i have about
92mb (out of 128mb) free on my Mem. *I have compiled the source of Perl
5.6.0 to see if it improved on something, but no luck...*

After a few seconds, that falls to about 9mb, and the following is what TOP
shows me:
last pid: 13023;  load averages:  0.05,  0.10,  0.09    up 0+03:07:06
19:07:14
58 processes:  1 running, 57 sleeping
CPU states:  0.0% user,  0.0% nice,  0.0% system,  0.8% interrupt, 99.2%
idle
Mem: 43M Active, 44M Inact, 21M Wired, 4440K Cache, 22M Buf, 8964K Free
Swap: 258M Total, 258M Free

I must run 3 similar perl deamons on each server, for diffeent types of
searches (I have two, load balanced, servers).

After a while, the memory (with 3 servers) falls to literally 0kb, and the
machine stops handling requests, with an error that says: "no more
processes" whenever i try to enter any command... The machine must be
forcefully restarted (as not even reboot or shutdown commands work), and
then brought up again...

What can be causing this, how can I debug it?

Should I recompile the Kernel, if so, can anyone give me some advice, I am
completely new to this? Below is my machine spec...

It is a DELL, with Pentium III 800 Processor, 128mb Ram, and a 10GB IDE
drive.

The INACT memory that top shows, what is this? Is this an "eating up" of
memory of some sort (This happened in some weird cases in RedHat, where
"shared" memory was never freed, even after the process went down...)?  What
about the SWAP, should it be used? Is there anyway to force the process to
use it after it exceeds Xmb?

Thanks for any and all help!

Roy Nasser
roy@vem.ca