Date:      Sat, 19 May 2018 21:27:18 -0700
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi26-fbsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: head -r333897 (usefdt and old PowerMac) questions

On 2018-May-19, at 9:14 PM, Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn at freebsd.org> =
wrote:

> You need to wait for one more patch. With that, usefdt=3D1 is =
confirmed working on PowerMac 11,2 (like the quad core). You must use =
vt, not sc, but everything should work out of the box once that patch is =
in. The only caveat is that bge0 and bge1 may swap numbers.
> -Nathan

Good to know. Thanks.

"You must use vt, not sc": does this mean changing to not
include sc in the kernel at all? Or will /boot/loader.conf
having:

kern.vty=3Dvt

be enough despite sc also being present?

I will also note that I'll lose access to the old PowerMacs
for weeks or months starting in about a week. So any testing
will be limited.

> On 05/19/18 21:09, Mark Millard wrote:
>> Long ago you had me try usefdt=3D1 on an old PowerMac G5 so-called
>> "Quad Core" and it failed to boot.
>>=20
>> Does -r333897 mean that I should retest if I get a chance?
>>=20
>> Also, the code path:
>>=20
>> head/sys/dev/vt/hw/ofwfb/ofwfb.c
>>=20
>> suggests to me a vt specific change, not spanning
>> sc. If I test, do I need to be specific about which
>> context I test?
>>=20
>> I build with PS3 disabled and sc included. (You
>> suggested such long ago when vt was having a problem
>> and it was expected sc would work --which it did.
>> I've continued to have vt and sc around since then.)
>>=20
>>=20
>> # more /usr/src/sys/powerpc/conf/GENERIC64vtsc-NODBG
>> #
>> # GENERIC -- Custom configuration for the powerpc/powerpc64
>> #
>>=20
>> include "GENERIC64"
>>=20
>> ident   GENERIC64vtsc-NODBG
>>=20
>> makeoptions     DEBUG=3D-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) =
debug symbols
>>=20
>> nooptions       PS3                     # Sony Playstation 3          =
     HACK!!! to allow sc
>>=20
>> options         KDB                     # Enable kernel debugger =
support
>>=20
>> options         ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER
>> options         BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER
>>=20
>> # For minimum debugger support (stable branch) use:
>> options         KDB_TRACE               # Print a stack trace for a =
panic
>> options         DDB                     # Enable the kernel debugger
>> options         GDB                     # HACK!!! ...
>>=20
>> # Extra stuff:
>> #options        VERBOSE_SYSINIT         # Enable verbose sysinit =
messages
>> #options        BOOTVERBOSE=3D1
>> #options        BOOTHOWTO=3DRB_VERBOSE
>> #options        KTR
>> #options        KTR_MASK=3DKTR_TRAP
>> ##options       KTR_CPUMASK=3D0xF
>> #options        KTR_VERBOSE
>>=20
>> # HACK!!! to allow sc for 2560x1440 display on Radeon X1950 that vt =
historically mishandled during booting
>> device          sc
>> #device                 kbdmux          # HACK: already listed by vt
>> options         SC_OFWFB        # OFW frame buffer
>> options         SC_DFLT_FONT    # compile font in
>> makeoptions     SC_DFLT_FONT=3Dcp437
>>=20
>>=20
>> # Disable any extra checking for. . .
>> nooptions       DEADLKRES               # Enable the deadlock =
resolver
>> nooptions       INVARIANTS              # Enable calls of extra =
sanity checking
>> nooptions       INVARIANT_SUPPORT       # Extra sanity checks of =
internal structures, required by INVARIANTS
>> nooptions       WITNESS                 # Enable checks to detect =
deadlocks and cycles
>> nooptions       WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        # Don't run witness on =
spinlocks for speed
>> nooptions       DIAGNOSTIC
>> nooptions       MALLOC_DEBUG_MAXZONES   # Separate malloc(9) zones
>>=20
>> device          filemon
>> device          geom_label
>=20