Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 13:16:41 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Speed deamons: How to build a build box?

Greetings,
	I have a PPro 180 machine that is currently building world in about
5 hours +-.  This time is from a "clean" state, not from a previously
built state.  I've been told that it maybe possible to do this in 1:21.

My question is:
	How do I morph the machine I have into a faster build box?

I have 64M memory, a SuperMicro 6SNS motherboard, 60ns memory, and one
SCSI disk (a Quantum Fireball 10.5ms 4500).  A second disk (a jaz drive,
12ms 5400) didn't seem to make the build faster or slower.  The MB has
built in SCSI "2940UW".  The fireball is the "ultra" version only.

As I see it, I have the following avenues to  make it faster:
	1) Buy more memory
	2) Buy 50ns memory (the board can cope)
	3) Buy a faster disk, ultrawide scsi 7200 or faster disk.
	4) Overclock the 180 to 200 or 233 (I have a good heat sink and fan)
	5) Get a second scsi bus
	6) ccd?

I'd imagine that the easiest thing to do would be 1) or 3), with 3 giving me
the best bang for the buck (that is, spend $700-$800 for 1-4G disk or 2-2G).
I'd get another 64M of memory (which would be $320-$350).

Can those that have tweaked for this sort of thing help me out here?  I'm
running -current as of April 17 (ctm cvs-cur 3222).

Also, what is the 1:21 number really?

Thanks for any help you can give me.  Please lemme know if I should take this
to a different list.

Warner