Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 23:13:04 -0700
From:      "Brian Moss" <bmoss@bigfoot.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FTP installation problem

       Hi, I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I was wondering what I'm
doing wrong when installing FreeBSD by FTP. The installation floppy boots up
fine. I configure it to fit my system, it talks to itself for a while, and
then the menu system starts. I read through the docs (5 or 6 times, now) and
followed instructions for novice installation over FTP, using PPP
connection. I used the "term" program, and successfully logged on to my ISP.
I then told the installer that I was connected, and sat back to see what
happened. The info dialog displayed a message saying it was logging in to
FTP@ftp.freebsd.org, and then sat there for a minute or two before saying
that the login had failed. Unknown error. I've repeated the procedure for
every server on the list (closest ones first, of course), all with the same
result. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks.

Brian (bmoss@bigfoot.com)
"Welcome to the wonderful world of high technology."
--A.D. Walter Skinner, FBI