Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:09:30 +0100
From:      njs3@doc.ic.ac.uk (Niall Smart)
To:        Nicholas Charles Brawn <ncb05@uow.edu.au>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: non-executable stack?

On Jun 20,  9:21pm, Nicholas Charles Brawn wrote:
} Subject: non-executable stack?
> I was pondering the following after reading about solaris 2.6's
> non-executable stack option.
>
> 1. How feasible is it to implement a non-executable stack kernel option?
> 2. If it *is* feasible, what do people think of a sysctl-based interface
> to enable/disenable it?
> 3. If both 1 & 2 were implemented, how about making it impossible to
> disenable at say.. securelevel >= 1?
>
> If I remember the discussions on bugtraq right, a non-exec patch isn't a
> cure-all for buffer overflow attacks. However it would be an overall
> security enhancement and prevent many script-based attacks.

It would be nice to have a filesystem non-executable-stack flag so that
it could be enabled/disabled on a per file basis.  Another option would
be to only turn it on for set[ug]id executables.  There are a number
of other "features" like this that would be useful, for example the
ability to specify that only printable ascii characters can appear in
the arguments or environment of a process before it can exec another.
I haven't checked if its possible to write shellcode using just plain
ascii characters,  if you can then this is obviously worthless, but I'd
be surprised if it's possible.

Niall