Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 05:35:25 +0000
From:      Piete Brooks <Piete.Brooks@cl.cam.ac.uk>
To:        Peter S Galbraith <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Cc:        Piete Brooks <Piete.Brooks@cl.cam.ac.uk>, AIC7xxx@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice on disk purchase?

> Which LVD should I get to put on my 50-pin 2940U controller (with
> adapter):  ST39173LW or ST39173LC ?

I have "Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST39102LW        Rev: 0004"

> LW = 68-pin Wide SCSI connector, low-voltage Differential

You should be able to use that one with a std "narrow <-> wide" cable or
connector.

> LC = 80-pin Single connector SCSI connector, low-voltage Differential

I don't know what this is (I just learn about the SCSI things I actually need!)
but I guess this is one of the "SCSI + power" type connectors.

> So LW looks to fit a regular wide cable.

Yup -- that's the one I have and would recommend (out of ignorance)

> What's this 80-pin connector on LC?  Is this the new wave?

Pass -- anyone out there care to comment ??

> Thanks a bunch!
[  Second time I've heard that recently ...
   My impression is that this side of the pond, the normal interpretation of
   that is somewhat different, i.e. it is usually sarcastic ....
]