Date:      Wed, 4 Apr 2001 11:22:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Amy Fong <afong@furryterror.org>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Acenic driver questions

> On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 09:48:24 -0400, Amy Fong wrote:
> > Question about the acenic driver. In if_ti.c, there's ti_mem
> > which is currently used to load the firmware onto the card. What
> > I'm trying to do is to use take advantage of the window base/window
> > from the registers on the tigon and write to a particular segment of
> > the memory. From what I've seen so far, it looks like I should be
> > able to do this using ti_mem to do this but my experimentations
> > don't seem to be working. I know that Linux acenic driver has
> > patches available for using the window/winbase to read the nic's
> > tracing ring buffer so I'm thinking that I should be on the right
> > track.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience/suggestions?
>
> Look at the Tigon driver diffs in this patch set:
>
> http://people.FreeBSD.org/~ken/zero_copy/zero_copy.diffs.20010124
>
> In particular, look at the ti_copy_mem() function.
>
> Ken
> --
> Kenneth Merry
> ken@kdm.org

Thanks! I should be kicking myself right now. I looked at the zero copy
code a few months back and totally forgot about it.

While I'm wasting bandwidth, I've got another question. I've noticed
that if I use up too much stack space, the freebsd kernel (4.2) seems to
crash very easily. Specially, if I create an array of size N within a
function, once the function gets invoked, my machine just reboots.
How do I find out how much stack space I've got? I'm assuming that it
_is_ a stack issue. :)

Amy