Date:      Mon, 09 Apr 2001 11:22:31 +0100
From:      Pete French <pfrench@firstcallgroup.co.uk>
To:        mike@dad.state.vt.us, mwm@mired.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Disklabel 101?

> Mike Barton <mike@dad.state.vt.us> types:
> > Are there any issues with placing swap first on the hard drive? Unless you
> > insist on filling the drive, it seems to me that this swap arrangement would
> > result in less stack travel.
>
> Not that I know of. In fact, I'm pretty sure that one of my systems
> has root on s2, with swap on s1, which is earlier on the hard disk.

It doesnt work on the same disc however. Try and do an install of 4.2
creating a swap partition, then a root partition and it fails. Or always
has in my expereince anyway. Its a bit of a nasty gotcha actually because it
is not obvious what the problem is. I can see that it probably makes sense to
have root frst then sawp (and they become a and b) so I dont do it that way
anymore, but its still worth knowing about.

The order of separate discs is not a problem. We have a Compaq server that
insists on booting from da1 rather than da0, so I have / on da1, /usr on da0
and an interleved swap between them. Even in this case, however, I found it
necessary to put the filesystems first on each disc, followed by the swap
partitions.

-pete.