Date:      Sat, 11 Aug 2001 11:28:51 -0500
From:      Jon Loeliger <jdl@jdl.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting SSL Apache at Boot

Folks,

I used to start apache at boot time via the script
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d/apache.sh.  I'd like to still
do this, but I also recently installed SSL and so I need
to use "apachetcl startssl" instead of "apachetcl start".
(You know where this is headed now, right? :-)

So this requires me to supply my SSL Certificate PEM
pass phrase.  Apparently interactively.

Now I could certainly have it read stdin during the
"apachetcl start" and feed it a file with my pass phrase
in it, in clear text.  Or I could write a small program
that obscure it a bit and piped it to "apachetcl startssl".

Or I could do it the Right Way.

I just wish I knew what the Right Way is...

jdl