Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 14:33:31 -0700 (MST)
From:      Chad Leigh <chad@xmission.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        chad@pengar.com
Subject:   partition is "e" should be "a" -- how to fix?

Hi

I have sent this three or four times already in the last 30 hours and
never seen it show up in the list...  I am trying sending from a different
account.

Over the weekend, I upgraded my HW on my server, replacing all disks with
new ones.  In order to do this, I mounted the new disks, used sysinstall
to partition and label the new partitions, and then I used dump/restore to
move all the old partitions files and data to the new partitions.  I then
took the old drives off, made appropriate fstab changes as needed, and
rebooted.  Then I noticed a problem.  My "root" partition was now da0s1e
instead of da0s1a .  I can boot the machine if I manually enter the
different partition letter into the bootloader, but the bootloader doesn't
find its meta data settings and the machine won't boot unattended.

How do I fix this?  How do I change the root partition from using "e" to
"a"?  I would think I could use disklabel to map the "a" partition to the
same range of blocks as the "e" partition, remake the special dev files,
and be done with it.  However, I am wanting some second opinions on this,
and since I am not a disklabel guru, some guidance on how to use disklabel
without screwing up my system would be appreciated.  I am studying
disklabel man pages, but I don't want to screw up my running system and
would appreciate a small how-to explanation from someone who IS a
disklabel guru :-)

Thanks
Chad