Date:      Fri, 19 May 2017 17:17:03 +0100
From:      Pete French <petefrench@ingresso.co.uk>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Static linking of libpam and opie

Am running into a problem trying to compile a piece of code staticly
which ultimately uses opie. I get the following:

/usr/local/lib/libsasl2.a(otp.o): In function `opie_server_mech_step':
otp.c:(.text+0x345): undefined reference to `opiechallenge'
otp.c:(.text+0x414): undefined reference to `opieverify'
/usr/local/lib/libsasl2.a(otp.o): In function `opie_server_mech_dispose':
otp.c:(.text+0x587): undefined reference to `opieverify'
cc: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)

If I link dynamicly all works fine (but this isnt an option for me).
The culprit here is the latest memcached port which uses sasl, and
that in turn requires opie. I cant compile the libmemcached port without
SASL (but thats another issue, one for the ports mailing list I think).

The thing is, shouldnt the static version of libpam provide this ?
I can see a libpam_opie.so file, but of course I cant staticly link
against that. Whats the correct thing to do here ?

-pete.

PS: note that I have no intention of using SASL / OPIE, I just want to
get the code compiling again!