Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2019 21:11:22 -0700
From:      Frank Fenderbender <frankfenderbender@council124.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   how to filter advertisers from joining the list

Sorry that I posted under another current questioner's subject-line.
I clicked the reply so I didn't have to type anything else in to get the =
To: <address> filled in, and then forgot to change the question to my =
own, before asking my own inside the question.
email's body. I should've slowed down after having to delete 3 of my 10 =
incoming list emails as overt spam.

Since BSD is based in security and a history of being older than most =
all surviving OSs, I
My question is whether we can imagine reducing overt email from the list =
that send "questions" about dating, or about buying a service/product... =
as a captive audience.
It seems ironic that a list membership about a secure OS exhibits =
insecurity in who can access our mailboxes and detour our =
attention-spans with misrepresentation of purpose.
So, I thought that others so-captured might want to seek some proactive =
revenge if we can decipher the problem, the tasks, and access.
If it's an "open" list then it's up to use to fend off invaders, right? =
It's not in anyone's "job description" unless it's in all of our =
membership implications?
If we don't do it, who will. eh? We do lots of this stuff by ourselves =
all the time, so a list mechanism may just need some known detail =
brought up so that volunteers will be able to research, prototype with a =
test-list, validate, and suggest workarounds or fixes.=20

Examples of everyday improvements we all have made, or could make:
	Problem: 	In this day-and-age, 80% of all US phone calls =
are robocalls, esp. between 7-9am and 6-8pm..
	Workaround:  we've used the wildcard features of CPR CallBlocker =
and Ooma to pre-delete junk calls and callers.

	Problem: 	We send about 30% of what Amazon sells back as =
misrepresented, faulty, or incorrect.
	Workaround: we avoid Jeff Bezos whenever possible.

	Problem: 	We screened fake-people from a Yahoo Group =
mail-list I used to have; it was tough, because you had to screen for =
real people.
	Workaround: We did not admit to membership anyone who did not =
issue a self-statement , semi-divulging that they were not going to lob =
ads at us.

	Problem: 	quantities of fake-people assault forums.
	Workaround: on our SMF forum, we use email verification, BOT =
lists, and essentially block all eAddresses with alphanumeric =
name-fields since that indicates a spammer more often than a lazy =
person.
=09
	Problem: 	Sado-parasites, thieves, and psycho-terrorists =
assault WAN-connected systems on auto-pilot so they can destroy =
somewhere else concurrently.
	Workaround: We added TXT/SPF files to reduce having our spoofed =
email addresses get us blocked from relaying mail-servers.
				We added anti-malware programs to reduce =
battles with viruses, spyware, etc.

	Problem: 	Approx. 20% of all our USPS-handled packages are =
delayed, damaged, or lost.
	Workaround: We use non-USPS deliverers whenever it's an option, =
as a workaround to them ever improving anything but 'images' of quality.

So, rather than "getting used to" or tolerating the intolerable creep of =
'quantity over quality', small efforts can often reap great rewards.
I enjoy, and thus, prefer reading real questions and answers because a =
topic relates to me or just because it sounds interesting.
There's so much interesting use and knowledge in listees'  worlds that I =
resent being demographically-manipulated, like having to answer spam =
calls to find out I'm colluding in wasting my time by NOT proactively =
blocking them.

So, maybe we can get some info about the system running the list so we =
can try to make some improvements in proactively blocking spammers at =
the membership level?
If it is near-"impossible" then we find out from one or more answers why =
that is, and, if it is not impossible, then we find out what it may take =
and approach it like any other software project that "raising the bar" =
for higher quality implies?

here's to saving the Delete-button finger for more interesting pursuits,
frank=