Date:      Thu, 26 Mar 2015 09:24:58 -0500
From:      Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com>
To:        Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Users <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 'pw usermod -G' not removing user from group?

Thanks for your email, Rick. While I understand the necessity of the securit=
y-patch-only limitation, I would argue that this issue actually IS a securit=
y risk, like so:

Case 1: admin needs to add a user to a group. This works correctly.
Case 2: admin needs to remove a user from a group. This doesn't work, but si=
nce the admin has just shown that he doesn't need or want this user to be pa=
rt of the group, he won't attempt to access those group resources by the use=
r unless he is explicitly testing it. I only noticed this bug because Salt h=
ad a test case for it.
Case 3: admin needs to remove one group and add another. The new group is ad=
ded correctly, but the old group is not removed. It's much more likely that t=
he addition will be noticed while the failed removal will not.

I would argue that this is much more dangerous than the opposite (Addition o=
f groups failing but removal of groups succeeding), as giving an account too=
 much privilege is a security risk while an account not having enough privil=
ege is simply an inconvenience.

Hopefully this can be resolved soon.
--Matt

> On Mar 26, 2015, at 7:28 AM, Rick Miller <vmiller@hostileadmin.com> wrote:=

>=20
>=20
>=20
>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Matthew Pherigo <hybrid120@gmail.com> wr=
ote:
>> Thanks, Rick! It's crazy that they didn't allow it in; seems like a prett=
y big issue. Hopefully they'll release a patch through FreeBSD-update soon. I=
n the meantime, do you or anyone else know how to work around this?
>=20
> I believe it's unlikely to hit releng/10.1, but I could be wrong.  The rea=
son I don't think it will be merged is because RE and/or security officer pr=
obably don't believe it fits the criteria for merging into a releng branch, w=
hich typically only receive security and errata updates.  That said, because=
 it did get merged into stable/10, it will be included in releng/10.2.
>=20
> I merged the patch from stable/10 into our internal development branches s=
o that it would be available in our internal distributions.  It was caught i=
n time so that we did not have to go to great lengths to get it deployed.  I=
t was simply a matter of compiling the distribution.  For systems already in=
stalled it is necessary to apply the patch to the sources and recompile and r=
einstall base.