Date:      Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:42:09 -0500
From:      "Ludington, Jacob" <Jacob.Ludington@ed.state.ia.us>
To:        'Michael Lucas' <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: BSD Magazine

>We already have a variety of web-based and email-based newsletters and
>publications.  They're excellent at preaching to the converted.

>Sadly, paper publishing has a legitimacy in many eyes that the Web
>doesn't have, yet.  This will hopefully change, but it's not quite
>there yet.

>It's roughly analogous to the whole e-books thing; if they're so
>great, why aren't decision-makers reading them on the bus?

I think you may be discounting the ability of email newsletters reaching the
masses. The key is spreading the word about whatever newsletters are out
there. I was not aware that Big Scary Daemons existed until seeing the URL
listed at the bottom of your message. My guess would be there are many
others who didn't know it existed either.

If you write about something that people are interested in and make it easy
for them to receive it they will spread the word and your readership will
grow. O'Reilly doesn't make it obvious if its even possible to subscribe to
Big Scary Daemons.(Where's the subscription form?)

As for e-books, there aren't exactly any conveniently(price and ease of use)
designed readers on the market that I'm aware of. I'm not suggesting that
email newsletters will ever completely replace print media, although the
main reason I look at print publications anymore is solely for the
advertising.

Jake Ludington

jake@ediblehype.com