Date:      Mon, 19 Mar 2001 15:22:56 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5rten_Wikstr=F6m?= <Marten.Wikstrom@framfab.se>
To:        "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Routing latency

I've performed a routing test between a FreeBSD box and a Linux box. I
measured the latency and the result was not what I had expected. Both
systems had the peak at 100 us (microseconds), but whereas the Linux =
box had
_no_ packet over 200 us, the FreeBSD box delayed some packets up to 2 =
ms!
Looking at the time series, it seems that the packets are delayed at =
regular
intervals, about every second. My guess is that some timer interrupt
triggers every second and steals too much cpu. So my question is, how =
can I
decrease this routing delay?

Test info:
I used two identical boxes, each equipped with a Pentium Pro 200Mhz and =
64Mb
mem. RedHat 7.0 with 2.4 kernel in one and FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE in the =
other.
I used two DEC 100Mbit ethernet cards (21140 I think).
I measured the latency with a SmartBits instrument. Fastforwarding was
disabled. Three UDP streams was sent from the SmartBits to one of the
ethernet cards in the box, which routed the streams to the other =
interface,
which in turn was connected back to the SmartBits.
I had not made any changes to the standard kernel configuration. No =
other
processes was running in the background, apart from those necessary to
perform the test. The ARP table was set statically, so no ARP traffic =
would
disturb.

I would at least want to know what is causing the extra delays.

/M=E5rten