Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 2020 17:18:26 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com>
Cc:        Lars Liedtke <liedtke@punkt.de>, User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Slowing network speed

> On 24 July 2020, at 16:59, Patrick Mahan <plmahan@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> ping is not a good indicate of network speed since most ping packets =
are
> small.  Network performance depends on many issue.  Most notably the =
total
> amount of data being transmitted, what TCP congestion algorithm is in
> effect, how much kernel buffer space, etc.
>=20
> You can increase the size of the ping packet using the '-s' option, or =
use
> the ping sweep options (-G <maxsize> -g <minsize>) etc.  See ping(8).
>=20
> Interface packet status can be retrieved using 'netstat -I =
<interface>'
> Other stats can be pulled using 'netstat -4 -x' (for IPv4 packet =
buffer
> using, delayed acks, retransmissions, etc).  See netstat(8).
>=20
> Traceroute is only semi-useful as it relies on ICMP error response =
which
> are throttled by many routers.
>=20
> iperf requires that you have a remote port you can talk to to send and
> receive traffic.

I have found that mtr (in the ports) is a good diagnostic tool for =
networks.  It combines traceroute and ping into one function that works =
a lot faster than traceroute.  I use the mtr-nox11 port as it is purely =
a command line tool.  It gives you a good idea where in the network =
bottlenecks are occurring. =20

-- Doug