Date:      Sat, 10 Sep 2005 02:25:37 -0700
From:      Blake Covarrubias <blake@yfug.yumaed.org>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   VLAN interfaces on FreeBSD; performance issues

Hi,

I have a question about VLAN interfaces on FreeBSD. I've read the
documentation and have set them up on a machine. After doing so
though the machine seems less network responsive. Does implementing
VLAN interfaces / tagging slow down network performance? I'm running
FreeBSD 5.4-RELEASE-p6 on a 500mhz Pentium III w/ 256mb ram.  The
reason for wanting VLAN tagging is the machine has once NIC and I
wanted to multi-home it without having to install another NIC. The
network card is using the 'fxp' driver.

--
Blake Covarrubias