Date:      Thu, 08 Nov 2001 18:36:18 -0700
From:      "Joesh Juphland" <part_lion@hotmail.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   processor recommendations for multi-user freeBSD system ?

I am planning on building a true multi-user system (as opposed to a NFS
server, or a web server, or a mail server) - many people with many shells
will be doing many things.

Two things have been decided:

- it will run freeBSD
- it will be dual processor

-----

So what two processors should I use ?  Coming from a Sun hardware
background, I originally thought to use PIII Xeons .. since they have a lot
of cache, and fast cache.  I was thinking 512meg cache p3 xeons running at
550mhz.

But what about a modern athlon MP processor ?  Much less cache, but it runs
at 266mhz, and it is much faster ... 1700mhz or so.

One specific question might be, at what bus speed and mhz speed do the
advantages of a "good" processor like a xeon start to not matter ?

Any advice, comments appreciated.

--joesh