Date:      Mon, 03 Sep 2001 14:14:28 +0000
From:      "Not Going to Tell You" <luckywolf19@hotmail.com>
To:        behanna@zbzoom.net, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Possible New Security Tool For FreeBSD, Need Your Help.

I have 240 boxes running sshd and restricted to our IP address on the
Internet. We just want to hide the sshd port until we need it. Is this such
a hard concept to understand. So what if someone can sniff the key. It is
just an extra layer of security. Since we are also running sshd and IP
filters, this is not a false sense of security. If someone wants to sniff
out all 100 packets, spoof our IP address, and re-send the key..Good for
them, they still have to get past the sshd. But by hidding the sshd port,
maybe, just maybe, we can reduce the number of script kiddies from trying
sshd scripts.

There is no such thing as real security. Only the perception of it.

Lucky