Date:      Wed, 21 May 2014 14:39:26 -0400
From:      Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>
To:        freebsd-wireless@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can we obtain higher wireless link throughput by abusing 802.11 radios to form unidirectional simplex pipes?

Dear Everyone,

I recently read about Ubiquiti=92s AirFiber hardware and noticed that =
its link efficiency is remarkable. Air Fiber=92s link speed is about =
770Mbps up and 770Mbps down (a 1:1 split). People are reporting =
benchmarks that show 700Mbps throughput over miles. The link efficiency =
is therefore in the range of wired ethernet, which typically obtains =
iperf results in the range of 85% to 95%. So far, all benchmarks of WiFi =
that I have seen never touch 1/e or roughly 37% efficiency.  A few have =
come rather close to 1/e though.

The 1/e number is significant because I am told that it is the =
theoretical limit on the efficiency of wired ethernet when a there is a =
shared collision domain on a coaxial cable. After reading about how the =
Air Fiber hardware works, I hav suspicion that its link efficiency can =
be replicated between two computers with off the shelf Wi-Fi hardware by =
abusing the radios via the kernel driver. In specific, you would have =
two systems, each with two radios on different frequencies. I will call =
each system A and B and refer to their radios as indices into an array. =
e.g. A[0] and B[1].

Much like the AirFiber, I envision node A as having A[0] be =
transmit-only on the frequency that B[0] uses (frequency 0) with B[0] =
being receive only. Similarly, I envision node B as having B[1] be =
transmit-only on the frequency that A[1] uses (frequency 1) with A[1] be =
receive only. The kernel driver is to instruct the WiFi hardware to =
ignore everything about the 802.11 protocol possible (e.g. RTS is to be =
ignored), send frames when given a packet (in send mode) and receive =
forward frames when hearing a packet (in receive mode). No radio in send =
mode is to listen to packets and no radio in listen mode is to send =
packets. The radios would be attached to directional antennas and =
frequency 0 !=3D frequency 1.

I asked Adrian Chadd about this in IRC. He replied that it is possible =
to hack the driver to obtain tight control over when 802.11 frames are =
received/sent, but doing something like this would require oscillator =
isolation and baseband RF isolation. He also asked that I send my =
question to the list, so here it is.

How doable is this with off the shelf hardware? Could simultaneous =
dual-band equipment be abused to obtain the proper isolation (where =
2.4GHz is 1 direction and 5GHz is another)? Would it be reasonable to =
expect wireless throughput to achieve 90% of the link speed in this =
configuration?

Yours truly,
Richard Yao

P.S. I am not on the mailing list, so please include me on CC.=