Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 18:07:23 +0100
From:      "Henrik W Lund" <laksefiskerbsd@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   From newbie to newbie: Observations...

Hi, my name is Henrik and I'm a FreeBSD newbie. I would like to share some
experiences and observations I have made during my run-ins with UNIX OSs in
the past. I'm currently in my fourth inning, and have finally gotten myself
together and produced a running, stable system. I choose to still label
myself a newbie because I still scream in frustration every day over some
mundane, essential task that must be done that I have no idea how to go
about doing.

In case you come from a "Windows" environment(like I did), FreeBSD might
seem daunting at first. Whereas you are used to having the computer scratch
your back and make you tea by the very flick of the power switch, in UNIX
you are left with a rather simple looking (and often cryptically labelled)
command prompt and a blinking cursor. None of the commands that normally do
something, don't work at all, and if they do, they sure don't do what you
expect them to!

But don't panic (like I did) and run off screaming to get your Windows CD
(like I did).

First of all, calm down. Seek out sources of information like this, the
FreeBSD website and others. And the most important thing; read. The man
pages count in the thousands, so there's lots of good stuff for the rainy
days. Wonder what dd does? A little hunting and pecking will have "man dd"
typed in no time, and voila!

Second, be prepared to reinstall the entire OS. Several times. The tampering
of config files by careless newbies can wreak havoc on any system,
particularly a UNIX one. Reinstallation is frequently the fastest, most
efficient way to get the system back up.

Third, read point one again. It'll do you good. ;)

Fourth, remember that at the end of the day, you can be sure the sun will
rise in the morning regardless of whether or not you got inetd set up the
way you liked, or if you even know what the heck inetd is.

Take this message for what it is: one newbie trying to let other newbies
know that "it's all right". ;)

-Henrik,
FreeBSD newbie and fanatic :D