Date:      Tue, 05 Feb 2002 00:50:27 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        cliff@raggedclown.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OT: Re: Learning the "correct way"...

>all
> > >
> > > What a bummer, has he never heard of re-training people ?
> > >

> > I've never heard of management that DID believe in training!
> > So, where do you work???
> >
>Oh you wouldn't believe what I have been trained in.
>Most of it was b*llocks I have to admit.
>Even so, we are coming to a unique event in history, people being
>fired because they only know about NT and not Open Systems.
>
>There was a time in Holland, a few years ago, when NT administrators
>could command fabulous salaries as free-lancers.
>
>Keep your Resumes up to date lads and lasses, they got the guns but we
>got the numbers, gonna win, we're taking over.. :)

With respects to the person that was fired, this is a very positive
indication of where the industry is going (back) to. A government agency in
Idaho (United States) switched to NT from Sun servers in the mid 90s. Not
sure why, as they weren't obsolete and worked fine (might have been a
particularly skillful Microsoft salesman) but within 2 years, they started
switching back, citing occasional crashes but mostly a complete lack of any
real power without writing custom software to bypass the operating system's
deficiencies. They actually began using Linux rather than Solaris for the
most part, but either way it is a sign that businesses are realizing that NT
is not a good system for many tasks--certainly not for all tasks.

Charles Burns