Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 11:39:01 -0000
From:      "Dominic Marks" <dominic_marks@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)

Hello,

I'd really appreciate some opinions on the performance of some daemons. I'm
trying to assess which is the best choice to offer both security and
performance under FreeBSD 4.2. Apache seems like a pretty defacto choice for
HTTP which I'm very happy with but I'm a little less sure what choose on
others, in particular for ftp and mail servers.

FTP Options:
1. proFTPd - Seems secure and has "enterprise" features
2. wu-Ftpd - Good security (bad History) excellent performance
3. ftpd - Dodgy security? Doesn't seem to be used very much

Mail Options:
1. Qmail - Secure, written for FreeBSD (Qwest?), Fast, Configurable
2. Sendmail - Industry standard, works fine, big user base
3. Postfix - Secure, quite light on system resources, growing support

I'd appreciate some feedback on any of these, any comments you might have
would be very helpful, or perhaps links to articles on this subject.

Many thanks
Dominic Marks