Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 11:32:39 -0600
From:      "Max Flatulence" <max_flatulence@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   dell inspiron 8000, maestro3 and apm

Hi all,

I have a personal archive of -mobile and could not find the information I
seek.  My -stable archive stops at 19 Jun and the mail archive search on
-stable claims (serveral weeks running, now):

Mail Archive Search

None of the archives you requested (freebsd-stable) are available at this
time.

Please try again later, or return to the search page and select a different
archive.

I lose sound after a resume on my dell i8k.  Here is some info about my
machine.

storm% uname -a
FreeBSD storm 4.3-STABLE FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE #1: Tue Jul 31 18:43:44 MDT 2001
     root@storm:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/STORM  i386
storm% kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
1    6 0xc0100000 29ad40   kernel
4    1 0xc0c27000 12000    linux.ko
5    1 0xc0c49000 3000     streams.ko
6    1 0xc0c4d000 11000    svr4.ko
7    1 0xc0cdf000 8000     snd_maestro3.ko
8    1 0xc0ce7000 f000     snd_pcm.ko

The only reason I am writing to the list is because of a note in
/usr/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/maestro3.c:

* $FreeBSD: src/sys/dev/sound/pci/maestro3.c,v 1.2.2.3 2001/07/26 17:07:08
scottl Exp $

* (+) apm suspend/resume works, and works properly!.

Did I misunderstand the note?  I thought it meant sound works after a resume
but that is not the case with my machine.  I have to kldunload the maestro3
module and reload it to get sound back.  I've been living with that until
today.  After several suspend and resumes (through the course of 3 days) I
get:

storm# kldunload snd_maestro3
kldunload: can't unload file: Device busy

I'm starting to feel like I'm on a windows box as I have to reboot for silly
reasons.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Perhaps I should cvsup to
the 4.4-PRERELEASE?

Thanks,

Max

ps:  No need to reply to this email addy as I am subscribed to
freebsd-mobile.