Date:      Tue, 22 May 2001 11:32:38 +0530
From:      "Parag Dabke" <paragdabke@hotmail.com>
To:        melange@yip.org, danny@clari.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP echo problem

Hi,

Thanks for your replies.
I tried giving command ate1 but it did not work.
After that I connected modem to COM2 and it worked smoothly. Modem echoed
all the characters and I was able to connect to my ISP. :)
But this creates another problem for me. If I connect modem to COM2 then I
am not able to use mouse because of pin differences between mouse connector
(9) and COM1 (25). I don't have adaptor to connect mouse to COM1.
It seems to me that User-PPP (2.0) which comes with PicoBSD has problem
echoing when connected to COM1.
Is there any way I can configure this PPP so that it will echo chars on
COM1?
Is it possible to get latest binary version (i386) of PPP. May be new
version doesn't have this problem. I found link for binary on site
http://www.awfulhak.org/~brian/ but link is not working.

Regards,
Parag

From: Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To: Parag Dabke <paragdabke@hotmail.com>
CC: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 10:09:37 -0400 (EDT)

Your modem is most likely not echoing characters.  Type:

ate1

after typing term and it should turn on echo.  See your modem manual for
more details.  (at&w should make it save the settings)

On Fri, 18 May 2001, Parag Dabke wrote:

 > Hi All,
 >
 > I am new to FreeBSD. I am trying to connect to my ISP using PicoBSD
 > (http://people.freebsd.org/~picobsd/picobsd.html) Dialup version 0.41. It
 > uses FreeBSD 3.0 and PPP version 2.0.
 >
 > Problem I have is that after I type 'term', PPP is not echoing whatever I
 > type.
 >
 > Following are steps which I follow.
 >
 > -------- This part is visible --------------
 > root# ppp
 > pppON Parag>set device /dev/cuaa0 (my modem is on COM1)
 > pppON Parag>set speed 38400
 > pppON Parag>set openmode active
 > pppON Parag>set log local phase command connect ...
 > pppON Parag>term
 > Working in interactive mode
 > Entering terminal mode
 > Type ~? for help
 > -------- This part is invisible ---------------
 > AT
 > atdt4404444
 >
 > After getting into 'term' mode if I type 'atdt4404444' then I can hear
that
 > it is dialing and is getting connected. But I am not able to enter login
 > name and password because PPP is not displaying anything. I am not able
 > understand what happens after PPP dials ISP number.
 >
 > I tried to search for this in mailing list archives using PPP as a key
word
 > but I get 0 search results.
 >
 > Can someone solve my problem.
 >
 > Thanks & Regards,
 > Parag

Bob <melange@yip.org> | "Villain, I have done thy mother"
			- Shakespeare, Titus Andronicus, act IV, scene II