Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 2019 23:06:24 +0100
From:      Peter Eriksson <pen@lysator.liu.se>
To:        Jan Behrens <jbe-mlist@magnetkern.de>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS snapdir readability (Crosspost)

The =E2=80=9Ceasy=E2=80=9D solution is to give each user (or group / =
project) their own ZFS filesystem. Then the =E2=80=9C.zfs=E2=80=9D =
directory would be inside the users own $HOME and you can set $=08HOME =
to 0700=E2=80=A6.

That is what we are doing. Granted it generates a =E2=80=9Cfew=E2=80=9D =
filesystems (like some 20000 per server (we have around 120k users), and =
then add hourly snapshots to each as =E2=80=9Cicing=E2=80=9D on the =
cake). Mounting all those takes a bit of time - but luckily with the =
latest FreeBSD release things are much faster these days :-)

There are some other issues with that - like 100% full filesystems =
causing severe system slowdown during writes=E2=80=A6 So you really =
wanna have some monitoring system that warns for that.

- Peter