Date:      Tue, 29 Jan 2002 20:15:27 -0800
From:      Dallas De Atley <deatley@apple.com>
To:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   __P macro question

Hi,

	I asked a question of our resident experts here at Apple and was
eventually directed to you by Jordan Hubbard.

	My question was: What is the __P macro used for in all those
function declarations in the BSD libraries and do we still need it?

	It was explained that this macro is used for pre-ANSI C compilers
and that while Darwin and thus Mac OS X compile with gcc 2.95, we retain
it in our code so that the diffs between our code and yours is small.
This enables the Darwin team to keep on top of changes between FreeBSD
and Darwin.

	After doing a little bit of homework searching cdef.h and style.9
and encountering old jokes concerning the coming of Jesus (thank you
Google), I decided to pursue the question.

	Is the __P macro still necessary? Are there pre ANSI C compilers
FreeBSD wishes to support or is this macro effectively benign but
useless?

	If it is still neccesary I'll move on to bothering the resident
experts with other annoying questions, otherwise I'd like to pursue this
issue further.

Thanks,

Dallas