Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:06:57 -0000
From:      "Paul Robinson" <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
To:        "Miguel Mendez" <flynn@energyhq.homeip.net>
Cc:        <chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: jive (was RE: was this really necessary?)

Miguel Mendez wrote:

> > not encourage racially offensive behaviour. You might call it
> > PC-madness, but I call it being polite.
>
> When a little humour (not badly intended) makes people over-react, I
> call it 'too thin skin'. People, freebsd-chat != real life!

Enouraging racially offensive behaviour is not humourous. If you think it
is, then that's your choice. Personally, I just think it's pathetic. I
accept that on-line is not real life, but then if people (employers) are
judging you based on your postings to -chat, there are two things you need
to consider:

- perhaps they should be judging you on CVS commits, -hackers, -arch or
perhaps even meeting you in person rather than -chat, so maybe you want to
apply for another job anyway

- regardless of the first point, you should consider whether you want to be
considered by your peers and future employers as somebody who finds "nigger
jokes" funny. Your choice.

> Fell free to install Mandrake. If having jive is what makes you decide
> which OS to run, I feel sorry fo you.

Having jive does not determine my OS choice. All operating system choices
made by 90% of the world's computers users are determined by whether it will
run the applications they wish to run, the way they wish to run them, or
because their boss tells them what they need to run. Personally, I have a
perception of quality of that operating system to think about, whether it
does things the way I want, and a tacit trust relationship with the creators
of that OS. If jive was considered appropriate for base rather than ports,
that trust relationship would be severly damaged, and as a result could
quite easily affect whether I choose to run FreeBSD. I do not think it would
do FreeBSD's currently appaling public image any good to give the impression
it's being run by a bunch of rednecks. You may differ in your opinion.
That's your choice.

> > Anyway, I think if this thread goes on any further, we'll just end up
> > with a list of people who think taking the piss out of black people is
>
> Come one man, it's a *joke*, or are you trolling?

It's a joke that causes reactions in some people that is quite un-nervingly
revealing about their personalities. Remember, this particular sub-thread is
based around the idea that your future employer/spouse/children may end up
reading these posts. Again, if you think that racially offensive humour is
funny, that's fine - you've put that down on record. I just happen to
strongly disagree.

I never troll. The statements I make may cause you to feel offended, in
which case I apologise in advance, but I would say it your face as easily as
I state it here. Of course, you can feel free to "fight back" if you want,
but eventually I'll just decide that nothing I say can change your mind and
ignore you. :-)

--
Paul Robinson