Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:18:09 -0000
From:      "Jason Halbert" <jason@jason-n3xt.org>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Code Red

Hello Everyone:

I just want to clear something up.  Something that's bothering me that
is..  The Code Red Worm is strictly an NT IIS thing, right?  The
console of my web server is used for watching the access log file of
my Apache web server.  I am seeing quite a few of those requests for
"default.ida" followed by the "X"s and then the code.  I'm sure you
are familiar with it.  According to the log as it scrolls along on the
screen, Apache just sends a 404.  I have been told also that even
Apache servers running under Windows would be unaffected.

I know that it is not as easy to write a virus for UNIX because of the
fundamentals of how UNIX works, but I would just like some
clarification.

Also, another note of interest.. These Code Red requests seem to be
coming from other boxes in my domain (*.dsl.att.net) and no where
else.  Anyone like to venture a guess as to why?

TIA

----
Jason Halbert
jason@jason-n3xt.org