Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:40:25 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Choosing to install turns off laptop. HD is untouched.

Generally the MO in the past has been to use the el-cheapo-ist components
possible, then when the OEM vendors discover some hardware bug or other
shortfall, they have Microsoft help them to write around the problems
with various patches, which are included in the OEM version of Windows.

While this has (mostly) gone away for desktop systems, it is still going
on fiercely with laptops.

> I've seen server machines afflicted in the same way.  Compaq has long
> had a habit of messing around with this sort of thing, and
> unfortunately
> HP often makes similar mistakes.
>
> High-end HP machines even have custom motherboards and a custom BIOS
> (both created by HP for HP and with a specific OS in mind), although I
> don't think the Pavilion is one of these machines.

First of all HP purchased Compaq a while ago, and when the sale was
completed
they dumped the Netserver line, servers from them are now HP Proliants.
(Proliant was the Compaq line)  The Netservers and Proliants in general
never had touble with FreeBSD.  Considering they certified them with
Solaris/Netware/etc. they had to be pretty standard.

Secondly, desktop systems from both vendors always sucked in this regard.
Compaq even had the audacity one time to modify the Adaptec microcode
for the AHA2740 scsi card for the Professional workstation line.

> Ideally, then, for something other than the pre-installed OS (such as
> FreeBSD), you're probably better off buying an off-brand PC made from
> off-the-shelf components, or building your own machine yourself.

Fine advice for low-end servers and desktops.  Terrible for high-end
servers unless you really, really know what your doing, and you
understand that your total cost will be more than if you just buy
a turnkey server from someone.  And rather impossible for laptops.

Ted