Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 2021 15:36:12 +0200
From:      Javier <nixlist@outlook.es>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Paritioning scheme on MBR disk doubts

Hi,

ok, finally, I'm going to dare to ask this (literally, after weeks,
no hurry). I felt somehow dumb asking it as it looks quite obvious,
but not asking it is a stone in my path before start fiddling with
FreeBSD.

(please, use monospace font where/if needed to view this mail
correctly)

I would like to know what is correct as the HandBook mainly talks
about GPT today and I think it doesn't cover what I'm in doubt of, or
I don't understand as is. Also have some disk basics in one section
and others in another, doesn't help, when you haven't installed=20
and you haven reached that section yet.

Let me ask in schematic way :) (Questions in the middle)

Note: my original idea was to post this on the forum but formatting
capabilities... didn't help.

Anyway..., sorry the verbosity.

I guess we all agree (terminology correctness aside) with the
following two examples:
--------------
1) DOS|GNU/Linux

	MBR
	+---Primary/Extended* 1
	+---Primary/Extended* 2
	+---Primary/Extended* 3
	+---Primary/Extended* 4
		(if Extended)
			+---Logic 1
			+---Logic 2
			+---.
			+---.
			+---.
			+---Logic nth
--------------

2) DOS|GNU/Linux + FreeBSD

 	MBR
	+---Primary/Extended* 1
	+---Primary/Extended* 2
	+---Primary/Extended* 3
	=A6	(if Extended)
	=A6		+---Logic 1
	=A6		+---Logic 2
	=A6		+---.
	=A6		+---.
	=A6		+---.
	=A6		+---Logic nth
	+---FreeBSD 4 (Slice)
			+---Partition 1
			+---Partition 2
			+---Partition 3
			+---.
			+---.
			+---Partition (h/eight/8?)

******	Being the FreeBSD slice on any position of the 4 MBR
possible options. Just placed 4th for simplicity in the scheme

--------------

Ok, now the third example, where I mixed cases, so some questions
in one.

Can a whole FreeBSD installation (mountpoints) be spread along
multiple slices?

Can I have more than h/eight/8 partitions when using more than one
slice? If no, why this small limit?

Can mountpoints be outside of slices? Specially or
specifically, /boot. Can it be on a FAT/32 or ext/2/3/4 file system
outside the slices? I understand any other should be inside the
FreeBSD slices only.

And when I say slices, I don't mean only on one disk, but several too.

Might be a dumb question, but better ask to be sure.

What is correct and what isn't.

--------------
3) DOS|GNU/Linux + FreeBSD (hypothetical case)

	MBR
	+---Primary/Extended* 1 /Boot
	+---FreeBSD 2 (Slice)
	=A6		+---Partition 1 /etc
	=A6		+---Partition 2 /home
	=A6		+---Partition 3
	=A6		+---.
	=A6		+---.
	=A6		+---Partition (h/eight/8?)
	+---Primary/Extended* 3
	=A6	(*if Extended and only one)
	=A6		+---Logic 1
	=A6		+---Logic 2
	=A6		+---.
	=A6		+---.
	=A6		+---.
	=A6		+---Logic nth
	+---FreeBSD 4 (Slice)
			+---Partition 1 /
			+---Partition 2
			+---Partition 3
			+---.
			+---.
			+---Partition (h/eight/8?) /swap

Despite I ask for MBR scheme, that is my BIOS/Disk system, I guess
answers should be applicable to GPT, more or less, with its
differences.

Thanks, in advance, if I don't reply back, for your answers.

Regards.