Date:      Thu, 23 Jan 1997 18:40:42 -0500
From:      exidor@superior.net (Christopher Masto)
To:        hsu@clinet.fi (Heikki Suonsivu)
Cc:        lenc@earth.infinetconsulting.com (Leonard Chua), freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 56K vs X2?

Heikki Suonsivu writes:
> I would appreciate comments on experiences with Ascend MAX4k, Cisco 5200,
> PM3, and possible other solutions (not separate modems and other wirechaos
> systems, we already have one).  Anyone using PM3, it seems to be the most
> affordable solution, but least common here in Europe and a fresh product
> compared to Ascend ?

We just got a two PM3s and the four channelized T1s to go with them
(no ISDN here).  They seem to work absolutely wonderfully.  In the
space of a few modems, they can handle 96 incoming calls, whereas we
previously had a wall full of equipment for 60 lines.

Digital modem banks are really the only way to go nowadays.. at least
for the ISPs that aren't run out of someone's kitchen.
--
Christopher Masto  .   .   .   .   Superior Net Support: support@superior.net
chris@masto.com  .   .   .   .   . Masto Consulting:           info@masto.com

On the Future, Where it is:
  It's a question of wheather we're going to go forward into the future, or
 past to the back.
 - Vice President Dan Quale.