Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 23:29:48 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mfs & swap relationship

As Doug White wrote:

> What's significant about mounting mfs's on the same partition as
> a system swap partition?   The mount_mfs(8) man page hints that this
> partition is used for any spillover, but that doesn't make sense.  Why
> isolate it to a specific swap partition?

It's not isolated, the entire swap is used to back the MFS.

The only reason to prefer the swap partition is that this device node
is used to `template' the UFS parameters from.  Basically a moot point
these days, now that we aren't using most of UFS's optimizations
anymore.

> And can you make an mfs that's attached to a different partition?

Of course.  It's only a little hard to mount a MFS on a machine that
doesn't have any disk available at all.  I've got patches in the queue
that allow using /dev/null as a template (in which case mount_mfs
invents some parameters, which is about the best it could do at all in
case swapping goes over NFS).

--
cheers, J"org