Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 18:52:17 -0600
From:      "Aaron Sonntag" <aaron@sonntag.org>
To:        "Mike Smith" <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: SCSI RAID controller support

Yeah the Dell rep was telling me that the Adaptec controller was an OEM
based on the 7897 chipset.  I am not going to be allowed to run 4.x on this
server.  I will be able to run 3.4 when it is on CD later this month.  Will
this help?  I also did not plan on booting from the RAID controller.  I had
planned on doing software mirroring on the SCSI boot drives and the RAID5 on
the hardware controller.  Will this allow me to use the Dell/Adaptec
controller at all?  I read in some FreeBSD documentation that the 7897
chipset was supported... but I guess not in a RAID controller?  Based upon
what you said I can at least use the AMI controller with 3.4 if I don't mind
booting off a different controller right?  I hate to drag this out but a lot
of money is involved (relatively) and I really only have one shot at this.
Thanks for your help thus far!

One more question.  Is there any vendor like Dell or SAG that is FreeBSD
friendly?

Aaron